Surgical abortion involves a minor operation. There are two types of surgical abortion:
- Removes the pregnancy by gentle suction.
- Up to 14 weeks, this can be done with local anaeasthetic. The quicker recovery time for this procedure means you can leave the clinic unattended and drive sooner.
- Up to 15 weeks this can be done with sedation (relaxed and sleepy) or under general anaesthetic.
- Carried out under general anaesthetic.
- The pregnancy is removed using narrow forceps through the neck of the womb (cervix).
- You will need cervical preparation on the day of surgery or possibly the day before.