Northern Ireland Local Early Medical Services
If you are from Republic of Ireland visit www.bpas.ie
If you are more than 10 weeks pregnant or live in the Northern Ireland Western Trust area please see information at the bottom of this page.
If you are less than 10 (no more than 9 weeks and 6 days from the first day of your last period) weeks pregnant and want to access early medical abortion in Northern Ireland, BPAS are taking bookings for clients on behalf of the following Trusts:
- Northern Trust
- Belfast Trust
- South Eastern Trust
- Southern Trust
In order to refer you to the local service in Northern Ireland we are required to share some of your data with your local trust service. Completing a booking request either online or with the booking line means you consent to us sharing your data.
Online abortion pills
BPAS and your local health trust are unable to provide abortion pills in the post because of the Abortion Regulations that govern how healthcare providers work in Northern Ireland.
The World Health Organisation has said that Early Medical Abortion (EMA) medication is safe, even when taken outside a clinical setting. Similarly, these pills are currently provided in the post in the rest of the UK.
There are, however, risks associated with buying EMA medication online from unreliable sources - they may not arrive, or may not be a genuine product. Both Women on Web and Women Help Women provide genuine EMA medication, advice, and support to women around the world, including in Northern Ireland.
Book a consultation
Please be aware that Early Medical Abortion services in Northern Ireland have amended opening hours during Christmas and New Year 2021. Please do not be alarmed if it takes a little longer than the usual 5 days for you to receive a consultation call. Those clients approaching the 10 week limit for Early Medical Abortion will be prioritised.
Please find below opening hours for our Booking & Information Centre:
- Monday 20th December - 7am - 7pm
- Tuesday 21st December - 7am - 7pm
- Wednesday 22nd December - 7am - 7pm
- Thursday 23rd December - 7am - 7pm
- Friday 24th December - 7am - 4pm
- Saturday 25th December (Christmas day) -CLOSED
- Sunday 26th December (Boxing day) - CLOSED
- Monday 27th December - 7am - 4pm
- Tuesday 28th December - 7am - 4pm
- Wednesday 29th December - 7am - 7pm
- Thursday 30th December - 7am - 7pm
- Friday 31st December - 7am - 4pm
- Saturday 1st December - 8am - 2pm
- Sunday 2nd December - 7am - 7pm
- Monday 3rd December - 7am - 4pm
Click here to book a consultation in Northern Ireland. The booking advisor will ask you for the following information.
- First name
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Phone number, is it OK to leave a voicemail on this phone number?
- Do you need an interpreter for your appointment?
If you are not sure about your decision to proceed with abortion treatment you can book some pre-consultation counselling. You can refer yourself to:
- Common Youth (if you are under the age of 18 years) or
- Informing Choices NI or
- BPAS - please let the booking advisor know you would like to have some additional pre-treatment counselling.
Your treatment is not dependent on you receiving counselling.
Date of the first day of your last period
Your Address Details
- Town or City
GP practice name and postcode.
You will receive a call for consultation from your local trust Early Medical Service within 5 working days (Mon-Fri) or earlier, from your booking call. Note that the trust staff will access your electronic care record (NIECR) but not add any information to it.
Pregnancy more than 10 weeks or from Western Trust
If the gestation of your pregnancy is more than 10 weeks, or you live in the Northern Ireland Western Trust area, you can access free abortion care in England. See information in the section below.
Call the number below to make an appointment with a funded UK abortion provider (BPAS, MSI and NUPAS). You will be offered the most appropriate appointment based on your needs.
To make a booking call 0333 234 2184
To qualify for free care you must:
- reside in NI (with a BT postcode), and
- be registered with a NI GP (with a BT postcode).
You must supply the above detail to receive funded treatment (we will not contact your GP unless you say we can).
The travel expenses of all abortion care patients will be paid for.
Depending on clinical need, the following expenses may be met also:
- your overnight accommodation
- the travel and overnight accommodation of a companion